History

Jeanette Neisuler founded Haven of Schenectady in 1977 after the

prolonged illness and death of her beloved husband, Efrem. Her

dream was to establish an organization that would provide support so that others in similar circumstances would not have to be alone.

 

Over the span of a year, an Advisory Board was established, a charter and bylaws were formulated, and Haven of Schenectady was incorporated. Haven of Schenectady's first location was at 1101 Parkwood Blvd., Schenectady NY.

 

One of Jeanette's earliest dreams was to have an office in downtown
Schenectady. This dream was realized in 1989 when Dr. and Mrs.

Jay Schechter generously donated the property at 703 Union Street

which had previously been home to Dr. Schechter's optometry practice.

 

At that time, Haven had 50 volunteers doing clerical and case work.

Trained volunteers provided emotional support at no charge to those

experiencing bereavement or life-threatening illness.

 

However, in 1997, the board deemed it necessary to introduce a sliding fee schedule. Today, services are still provided on a sliding scale, taking into consideration family size and income.

 

In 1998, Haven of Schenectady adopted the name of Haven Grief

Counseling Center and support services were provided by professional staff members.

 

Bereavement Support services are offered as individual and group sessions. As always, Haven of Schenectady respects the client’s right to privacy and all sessions are confidential.